The Scoop on Rocket City Summer Fest
Rocket City Summer Fest 2018
Folks, summer is upon us and so the Rocket City Summer Fest! Rocket City Summer Fest is the annual event at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center that brings together the Huntsville community, alumni from Space Camp, Aviation Challenge, Robotics Camp, and the newly formed Cyber Camp, as well as space enthusiasts from all over the galaxy for a multi-day celebration that will rock your space boots off. From the chance to speed down a zipline, to a cooling your rocket engines at a pool party, re-living your favorite Space Camp mission, and singing and dancing with all your friends at the “Party of the Year” concert, Summer Fest is just what you need to make sure your summer is a blast!
(P.S. The Marriott located next to the Space & Rocket Center is offering special pricing during Summer Fest for attendees!)
Here’s the scoop on Rocket City Summer Fest 2018!
When: July 12-14
Where: U.S. Space & Rocket Center
How: You can purchase tickets for an All Access Pass or you can purchase tickets to only the events you choose. (The All Access Pass includes events to only pass holders!!
- Biergarten- 4:30-8:30
- Eat lots of tasty German food and a portion of the profits will go to the Space Camp Hall of Fame Scholarship fund! Don’t forget to bring your favorite space-loving pooch with you; leashed dogs are welcome to hang out on the Apollo terrace and courtyard.
- Pass the Torch- 5:30-7:30
- Hear Space Camp Hall of Fame members share how attending Space Camp impacted their lives.
- Lunch on the Lake- 12:00*****
- All Access Pass holder exclusive
- Food trucks will be available or BYOL
- Military Emeritus docents will lead tours of plane on display at Aviation Challenge
- Hall of Fame dinner- 7:00
- Celebrate the induction of the newest Space Camp Hall of Fame members
- Speaker will be Robert Lightfoot, President of LSINC and former NASA Acting Administrator
- Cocktails and silent auction begins at 6:00
- This is your chance to get your hands on some really amazing space memorabilia while raise money for kids to come to Space Camp!
- Town Brunch- 10:30 at the Marriott
- eat a tasty brunch and hear from Space & Rocket Center CEO Dr. Deborah Barnhart and Chairman of Space Camp Alumni Association Board Dr. Andrea Hanson discuss how to you can engage with programs supporting the camps at the Space & Rocket Center.
- Behind the Scenes Tour- 1:00*****
- All Access Pass holder exclusive
- Take a behind the scenes tour of Space Camp, hear all about the new Orion Mission, participate in a quick launch and land, sit in Mission Control, all while enjoying the company of astronauts Robert “Hoot” Gibson and Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger.
- Top Gun tournament- 2:30
- Test what you are made of in a 1 on 1 dog fight- elimination F/A-18D Hornet fighter jet tournament
- Simulated Orion Mission- 2:30
- Test drive NASA’s Orion capsule on a mission to the moon and back
- Underwater Astronaut Trainer (UAT) Experience- 2:30
- Train like an astronaut 24 ft underwater
- Ropes Course- 2:30
- Climb a 50 ft ladder and speed down a zipline back to the ground
- Pool Party- 5:00 at the Marriott
- cocktails and light appetizers by the coolness of the pool
- Party of the Year- 7:00
- jam with the Black Jacket Symphony as they blast hits from the 1960s, today, and everything in between!
- Food trucks and beverages available!
- Manic Organic (burgers, tacos, wraps, salads)
- O Taste and See (BBQ)
- Pearl Asian (tasty Asian)
- Sugar Belle (glorious cupcakes)
See you at Summer Fest!
Which iHeartHsv blogger wrote this?
Although not raised in Huntsville, Rebecca high-tailed it here as quickly as she could. There is no place she would rather call home. Most of her waking hours involve working for the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. An avid storyteller, she loves nothing better than to share Huntsville’s tales whether during Huntsville Ghost Walks, conducting tours of the Huntsville Depot, or bringing history to life during the Cemetery Stroll.